I had loads of left over eggwhite that I was saving to make macarons. I never found the time to make them and figured that using them for meringue was so much faster, and simpler. I served my meringue basket with freshly whipped cream and some blueberries and strawberries. You can use whatever fruit you desire.
3 egg whites
175g caster sugar
1 tsp lemon juice or white wine vinegar
1 tsp corn flour
300 ml whipping cream, whipped
Blueberries and strawberries
- Whisk egg whites at high speed till dry.
- Add in half the sugar slowly, while whisking.
- Carefully fold in the vinegar, corn flour and remaining half of the sugar.
- Fill a large piping bag with the meringue.
- Prepare a tray lined with baking paper.
- Pipe out a spiral base, then pipe circles around it to build a nest.
- Bake at 120°C for 40 minutes to an hour.
- If you do not want the meringue to brown, block out the top heating element with another tray.
- Remove from tray. Allow it to cool and fill with whipping cream and fresh fruit.
- Serve immediately.